Linux user authentication and shaodw passwords

Hi,
  I'm having a _really_ hard time finding any sort of complete docs on how
to get linux (rh6.2) to authenticate to an openldap 1.2.9-6 server running
on the same computer.  I've migrated /etc/*, and 'ldapsearch -d 5 -L
"(objectclass=*)"' returns a whole mess of stuff, but the passwords don't
seem to have migrated properly.  I have 'auth sufficient
/lib/security/pam_ldap.so' in /etc/pam.d/login, and I get prompted for a
LDAP password, but it dosen't matter what I type in for the LDAP password,
the system just authenticates agains't the normal unix passwd.

  Also, if I add a new user to the system, how does that new user get
added to the ldap database?

  As you can probably tell, I'm not much of an LDAP wiz.  Answers /
pointers to docs would be much appreciated.

Nathan Wiebe
nwiebe@lynxgl.com