BASE variable not working

Hello,
I have setup OpenLDAP 1.2.9, and am having a problem using the default
BASE variable in ldap.conf.  I have set the BASE variable in hopes of
not having to instruct users to fill in that information in their
Netscape/Explorer Preferences.  Everything works fine from these clients
with the BASE specified, but the error "No such object" appears if the
server root field is left blank.  I've also tried to access the database
using web2ldap, but again, it only works with the "search root" field
filled in as "dc=fairchildsemi, dc=com"
There is a NOTES LDAP compliant database at our site that does not
require the server root field to be set on the email clients, so
proposing OpenLDAP will be tough unless I can find a way to get this to
work.
Here is my ldap.conf file:
#
# LDAP Defaults
#

# See ldap.conf(5) for details
# This file should be world readable.

BASE    dc=fairchildsemi, dc=com
HOST    fmfm23.fairchildsemi.com

#HOST   ldap.openldap.org ldap-master.openldap.org:666
#PORT   389

#SIZELIMIT      12
#TIMELIMIT      15
#DEREF          never