Re: slapd grows without bounds

> From:    George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
> To:      openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org

> Well, the subject says it all really.  I have OpenLDAP 1.2.9, PerlDAP 1.4,
> and the Netscape Directory SDK for C on FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT.  The
> underlying ldbm is Berkeley DB 1.85.

First, the Netscape Directory SDK is LDAPv3, while OpenLDAP 1.2.9 is
LDAPv2.  This is probably not your current problem, but it could cause
problems with any code you write with it.  OpenLDAP 1.2.9 should be run
with Berkeley DB 2.7.7.  There's a good chance that this is your size
problem.

> Initially, I cooked up an LDIF file with 20,000 records, ran ldif2ldm and
> made queries using my PerlDAP-based scripts.

ldif2ldbm should not be used to initially load the database.  Instead,
the server should be started with scheme checking turned on and ldapadd
should be used.

> Every query, be it light- or
> heavy-weight resulted in the slapd process increasing in size until it took
> up 140M or thereabouts and I killed it.

140M could be fine, depending on the number of indexes you've
configured slapd to build and how large you've configured the caches to
be.  The server I run, with 25 indexes and and 10M caches, is at 170M
right now.  Another server, similarly configured, is in excess of 350M,
tho it's been running for a month.

:wes