re: access - some success, some failure

I don't know if yours is the same problem as mine, but I was
experiencing the same sort of problem.

I used the -t option to target the dn I wanted to amend the
password for.

My LDAPPASSWD command was a  follows:-

./ldappasswd -p 390 -b "dc=pokuscca,dc=cz"  -D "
cn=noc,dc=pokuscca,dc=cz" -t "cn=zzz,dc=pokuscca,dc=cz" -W.

Where noc is a user who has the authority to write to attr
userpassword and zzz is the user I am changing the password for.

It also works if I specify zzz instead of noc.

My Conf file looks like this:
access to attr=userpassword
        by self write
        by dn="cn=noc,dc=pokuscca,dc=cz" write