distributing subtrees, referrals

I'm stuck - could somebody give me a hand?

I'm trying to get a couple of slapd's to refer to one another for certain
One server is rooted at dc=autozone, dc=com
I've added various entries to it and everything is working swimmingly.

Some of the entries are organizationalUnits, arranged in a hierarchy:
     ou=4, dc=autozone, dc=com
     ou=SouthEast, ou=4, dc=autozone, dc=com
     ou=Memphis, ou=SouthEast, dc=autozone, dc=com

I've also added a smart referral entry pointing to another
organizationalUnit on the other server

1) In slapd.conf, should the rootdn on "otherserver" be of the form:
     rootdn    "cn=root, dc=autozone, dc=com"
     rootdn    "cn=root, ou=S0003,

That is, is the rootdn a local rootdn or not?

2) On otherserver in slapd.conf, should suffix be set to the subtree root?
     suffix    ou=S0003, ou=Memphis,ou=SouthEast,ou=4,dc=autozone,dc=com

     If the suffix is set of the subtree, how do I add the initial root
entry for otherserver?
It seems to be looking for the ou=S0003,......,dc=com context, which
doesn't exist yet.

3) On otherserver in slapd.conf, I have a referral entry
referral       ldap://masterserver.autozone.com/

All the examples I've seen of referral merely state a server name.
Do I need to provide some kind of context here?

referral       ldap://masterserver.autozone.com/dc=autozone, dc=com
referral       ldap://masterserver.autozone.com/ou=Memphis, .....
[ the parent of the local subtree ]

Any helpful answers to these questions would be appreciated,

Jim Greer