Re: Beginner Help

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Walter Landman wrote:

> I am a beginner, and need some basic instructions with:
>
> Help with the configuration (Explaination of it)

As I'm sure you realise, this is like asking, "I need help with Oracle 8i's
configuration (explanation of it)" - the question is just too broad to be of
any use.

To get a basic idea of OpenLDAP's LDAP server process (slapd) configuration,
first have a look at the Quick Start Guide:

then continue to the "configuration" section of the FAQ:

> Help with entering a sample record
> Help with searching a record
> Help with modifying the record
> Help with deleting the record

The above items depend on what LDAP clients/tools you are using to manipulate
the directory (ie., there is more than one way..);  for some examples, see
section 4.3 of the IBM Red Book, "Understanding LDAP", or section 7.8 of the
IBM Red Book, "LDAP Implementation Cookbook".  Other books/Web sites also
include examples using different tools - cruise the OpenLDAP FAQ.

> Well for starters, it would help if I figured out exactly what
> cn, on, etc mean.  Now it seems after focusing my efforsts on browing
> for the answers to this, I found the answers and am bieng enlightened.

See secion 2.2 (The LDAP Models) of the "Understanding LDAP" Red Book.

> Basically I want to show my boss a demonstration of setting up a new
> sample database, (please excuse me if i'm using SQL talk as that is what I
> used for all my other Database related work), table, and insert a record
> into this database/table.

The Red Book includes a brief comparison of RDBMS' and directories;  also see:

"Why do I need a Directory when I could use a Relational Database?"
http://www.stanford.edu/%7Ehodges/talks/EMA98-DirectoryServicesRollout/Steve_Kille/

> Now I understand that LDAP works sort of like a tree span ?

This is the most common model (hierarchical tree), yes.  The exact structure
of the tree, though, is not standardised (so everyone has their own preference
for tree structure).  See:

"Directory Services: DIT Design"
http://www.stanford.edu/%7Ehodges/talks/EMA98-DirectoryServicesRollout/RommelEMA/

> Maybe first divide by State.  Please try to advice me if my concept of LDAP
> is correct or incorrect.

You're on the right track.

Cheers..

dave