Newbie ldapsearch syntax question

I think my current problems are that I don't quite understand the terms
that the OpenLDAP documentation uses.

 ldapsearch won't work for me...I've done this so far:

 Made, tested & installed the LDAP server. Stuck this into the
slapd.conf file:

database       ldbm
suffix         "dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie"
directory      /usr/tmp
rootdn         "cn=root, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie"
rootpw         secret

 I've gotten a mockup passwd file imported with:
# migrate_passwd.pl /etc/passwd ./passwd.ldif
# ldif2ldbm -i passwd.ldif

 And slapd is started. And the problem at hand is:

# ldapsearch -w secret -b "dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie" 'objectclass=*'
ldap_search: No such object

 I assume that the "suffix" bit is a sort of a root directory label, yes
? So it has to match the parameter after the '-b' flag. But this isn't
working, so there must be something else I'm missing...

John

--
Microsoft. The best reason in the world to drink beer.
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~valen