> Andrew Kemp wrote:
> > > The "proper" way to do a back up is to:
> > >  1) shutdown slapd
> > >  2) copy database using either
> > >        a) cp -r dbdir savedir
> > >     or
> > >        b) cp dbdir/id2entry.* savedir
> > >  3) restart slapd
> > >
> > > You can generate an LDIF from the copy if you desire, but I
> > > generally just archive a copy if id2entry.
> >
> > BTW, if you have the id2entry copy and you have a failure, which tools
> > do you use to recover to a workable database ? ie: build all indexes, etc?
>
> ldbmcat and ldif2ldbm.

This is exactly what I tried. But what about the ordering problem with
ldbmcat? ie if the database has more then 256 Entries, ldbmcat swaps
it output, the entries are in wrong order! The result is not usable as
input to ldif2ldbm. I still do backups using a subtree search with
'(objectclass=*)' filter.

--
Lars Uffmann, <lars.uffmann@mediaways.net>, fon: +49 5241 80 1438