Backing up LDAP database

Greetings,

We are currently using OpenLDAP 1.2.7 on Digital Unix 4.0D with GDBM 1.8
At present, we are testing, but as we are about to go production, I
thought that it was time to implement a backup procedure.

Browsing the archives, I found a script to use ldbmcat, such as :

/usr/local/sbin/ldbmcat -n db/id2entry.gdbm > bak/backup.ldif

However, with NO users connected to the database (ie: just started and
only known to the developers), when I run this command I get the
following :

db/id2entry.gdbm: Operation would block

Any suggestions ? I know, I could change the database to read-only prior
to the backup, but what backup strategy are others using ? This is all
prior to replication.

Thanks.

Regards,

Andrew Kemp

--
Unix,WWW,Proxy,News,DNS,LDAP,... Administrator	Phone	: 61 +3 9214-8252
Information Technology Services			Fax	: 61 +3 9214-8944