Backing up LDAP database

We are currently using OpenLDAP 1.2.7 on Digital Unix 4.0D with GDBM 1.8
At present, we are testing, but as we are about to go production, I
thought that it was time to implement a backup procedure.

Browsing the archives, I found a script to use ldbmcat, such as :

/usr/local/sbin/ldbmcat -n db/id2entry.gdbm > bak/backup.ldif

However, with NO users connected to the database (ie: just started and
only known to the developers), when I run this command I get the
following :

db/id2entry.gdbm: Operation would block

Any suggestions ? I know, I could change the database to read-only prior
to the backup, but what backup strategy are others using ? This is all
prior to replication.

Andrew Kemp

Unix,WWW,Proxy,News,DNS,LDAP,... Administrator	Phone	: 61 +3 9214-8252
Information Technology Services			Fax	: 61 +3 9214-8944
Swinburne University of Technology		E-Mail: andrew@swin.EDU.AU
Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia 3122 	URL: http://opax.swin.edu.au/andrew