Re: Primary key equivalent in LDAP.

At 12:15 PM 9/23/99 -0700, Subodh Nijsure wrote:
>objectclass modemUser
>        requires
>                objectclass
>        allows
>                modemMacAddress,
>                downStreamMinBandwidth,
>                downStreamMaxBandwidth,
>
>mycompany.at.conf looks like this --
>attribute       modemMacAddress                 dn

>From your use, I would expect that cis would be a more
appropriate syntax for modemMacAddress.

>Now I am creating database using following input file.
>
>dn: o=mycompany.com,c=US
>objectClass:organization
>o:mycompany.com

>dn: modemMacAddress="123", o=mycompany.com,c=US
>objectClass:top
>objectClass:modemUser
>downStreamMinBandwidth:100
>downStreamMaxBandwidth:200

missing:
modemMacAddress: 123

(Note: modemMacAddress should not be of syntax DN if you are
not going to store a DN in it).

>dn: modemMacAddress="346", o=mycompany.com,c=US
>objectClass:top
>objectClass:modemUser
>downStreamMinBandwidth:105
>downStreamMaxBandwidth:300
>

>The problem is -- I want to create the database so that 'modemMacAddress'
>should be the primary key i.e. there should be only one entry in the
>database for given modemAddress.

The "primary key" is the DN.  It must be unique.  However, 2
entries (each with a unique DN) can have attributes with the
same values (regardless of syntax).

>With this schema definition I am able to
>add multiple rows with same modemMacAddress.

Exactly.

>What am I doing wrong?

Confusing the DN syntax with the actual DN.