RE: Long query times: OpenLDAP 1.2.7 + BDB 2.7.7 + Solaris 7

At 07:59 PM 9/23/99 +1000, Bernard Gardner wrote:
>Kurt/List,
>
>I took it from Kurt's previous comment:
>
>> Newer versions of Solaris provide preemptive threading subsystems.
>> OpenLDAP 1.x is designed to be used with non-preemptive threading
>> subsystems.  I suggest you use --without-threads or a user-land
>> thread package such as GNU Pth (http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/),
>> Portable Threads, FSU Threads, or such.
>
>That building with Pth was a common/simple thing to do.

Building --without-threads is a simple thing to do.  The
difficulty of installing a third party threading package
depends upon particular package, the target platform, as
well as a host of other factors.   I encourage users to
share "hints" as needed through the FAQ.

>Aside from that, I see from my readings (I'm a thread
>novice), that using a userland thread package will mean
>that I won't be able to take advantage of a multiprocessor
>machine.

This isn't as big as a deal as you might think.  slapd
is usually quite I/O bound.

>This would be a great shame, as I'm planning
>on using a dual CPU ultrasparc box to run the directory.

I run slapd all the time on duals... there are usually
plenty of other processes to chew up the other cpus
(like bind, slurpd, ldap gateways, etc.).

>So, does anyone have any advice on how I can get a
>multiprocessor utilising slapd using sleepycat DB, running
>under Solaris 7?

Join the development team.