Re: [Fwd: Tantalizingly close . . .]

At 01:39 PM 9/11/99 -0700, Jim U'Ren wrote:
>My problem is I can not add a record to the database using ldapadd.
>After entering the password from the slapd.conf file at the LDAP
>password prompt, I get the message:
>
>    ldap_bind: No such object

This error is returned by the server when the bind DN cannot
be found.  You need to specify your rootdn (and associated
password) when adding your first entries.  If you did specify
the rootdn and got this error, then your rootdn is likely
not subordinate to a suffix of the database.

I've added a FAQ answer which provides additional information:
   http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=230