Re: Q: slurpd replication

David,

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, David Reitz wrote:

> > > No. Each backend can only have one replog and it's used by a single
> > > slurpd to update all replicas of the backend.
> >
> > Ah.  Per-backend.  Silly me.  I have multiple replicas for one backend,
> > and none for the other.
> >
> > Ok, I'm cool on this now, thanks.
>
> sorry i'm just now getting back to this issue.... so i'm a little
> behind.
>
> i have no idea what this means for sure, and i was hoping you could
> explain it to me.  what exactly do you mean by backend?  do i need to
> run separate slurpd daemons for each slave server that i have running?

A common configuration is to have one master and multiple slave servers.
For each backend ("database ..." section), you can have multiple replicas
listed.  For example:

   # backend stuff
   database        ldbm
   cachesize       10240
   dbcachesize     1048576
   suffix          "o=My Company, c=US"
   directory       /usr/local/etc/ldap/mycompany
   rootdn          "cn=DirectoryMan, o=My Company, c=US"
   rootpw          xxxxxxx
   # replica stuff
   replogfile      /usr/local/etc/ldap/slapd.replog
   replica         host=ldap2.domain.org
                   binddn="cn=DirectoryMan, o=My Company, c=US"
                   bindmethod=simple
                   credentials=xxxxxxx
   replica         host=ldap3.domain.org
                   binddn="cn=DirectoryMan, o=My Company, c=US"
                   bindmethod=simple
                   credentials=xxxxxxx

On each slave (ldap2, ldap3, in the above example), you have the same stuff,
without the replogfile and replica lines, and add this:

   updatedn        "cn=DirectoryMan, o=My Company, c=US"

You only need one slurpd on the master server for each collection of slave
servers that service the same suffix.  Does this clear it up any?

Don
--
Don Badrak <dbadrak@census.gov>              301.457.8263 work
Telecommunications Office                    301.457.4438 fax