shell backend perl script problem

Here is a strange problem:

I wrote several perl scripts as shell backends to openldap
and they work fine on Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 (running openldap
version 1.2.4).  However, when I try the exact same thing on
HP-UX 10.20 I get errors in my syslog file such as:

Jul 28 10:19:17 hpserv slapd[29997]: str2result () expecting "RESULT"

If I create a bourne shell script that does nothing but call
the perl script, then it works fine.  Does anyone know of any
reason why a bourne shell script works but a perl script does
not work as a backend for openldap 1.2.4 under HP-UX 10.20?

Thanks,

--
Tim Peterman - Unix & Web Server Administration
Lockheed Martin GES/EIS, Moorestown, NJ