openldap config for netscape certificates?

I would like to use openldap to store user certificates
so that netscape communicator can retrieve them through
the communicator security dialog:

  Communicator -> Tools -> Security info -> \
  Certificates -> People -> Search Directory

I have tried storing the certificates in attributes:

  userCertificate, userClass, userSMIMECertificate

as defined in the netscape schema reference at:

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/directory/schema2/schema-4_0_0/html/contents.htm

Communicator happily queries the openldap server for the
given email address, but claims not to find a certificate
for it.

Does anyone know how I should be storing the certificate
under openldap?

I am going to install the Netscape DS (and Cert server
if necessary) and try and work out how it stores the certs
assuming they can be accessed by communicator.

Cheers,

Andy