Re: openldap config for netscape certificates?

Try adding the ;binary option to the userCertificate or userSMIMECertificate attribute
description.  For example (in LDIF):

     userCertificate;binary:: MIIC2TCCAkKgA...

It's probably necessary to configure the attribute, including the option, in the
OpenLDAP server's schema definition (in slapd.conf, or one of the files it includes).

Some relevant standards are RFC 2251 and RFC 2256.