From: Robert Franklin [mailto:r.c.franklin@reading.ac.uk]
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 1999 1:25 PM
To: Walker, Mike
Cc: 'openldap-software@openldap.com'
Subject: Re: ldbm

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:29:36 -0500  "Walker, Mike" <mwalker@v-one.com>
wrote:

> 11:27 picket /usr/local/ldap/clients/tools>ldapsearch 'objectclass=*'
> ldap_search: No such object
> 11:27 picket /usr/local/ldap/clients/tools>ldapsearch -b 'o=VONE c=US'
> 'objectclass=*'
> ldap_search: No such object

Is that a direct paste or a type copying it?  You need a comma between
the organization and country attribute in your Base DN:

  > ldapsearch -b 'o=VONE, c=US' 'objectclass=*'
                         ^--- there!

An aside...
-----------

As a matter of interest on Base DNs, on our LDAP server (which we're
testing ATM) it's 'ou=University of Reading, c=GB'.

Client users have to insert this in as the 'search root' or whatever.
This is a bit of a chore (they tend to mistype it or stick a 'The' in
there).  Can I just miss that out (if I leave it out on the client
machine it doesn't work; I'm talking about on the server)?  What do I
lose if I do?  Problems trying to link the servers in a hierarchy?

  - Bob

  The Day Today             ... because FACT times IMPORTANCE equals NEWS!
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  IT Services                                   r.c.franklin@reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.          http://www.reading.ac.uk/~suq96rcf/