At wit's end.

Hello All,

	I have looked for similar posts in the archives, but I have not
found anything, so please forgive me if this an oft answered post.  It will
also be a bit lengthy as I try to describe the steps I have taken to get
this working.  The basic problem is that no matter what entries I add to
the server, ldapsearch always returns "ldap_search: No such object." Here
is my configuration.
	My goal is just to test a basic ldap server.  I am running on the
following configuration

	-RedHat Linux (kernel upgraded to 2.1.129)
	-OpenLDAP release (downloaded 12/17/98)
	-I have compiled it with both GDBM and Berkley DB support and the
problems are identical.

	With both databases it compiles and installs just fine.

	Here is my slapd.conf:
--------------
include         /usr/local/etc/ldap/slapd.at.conf
include         /usr/local/etc/ldap/slapd.oc.conf
schemacheck     off

database        ldbm
suffix          "o=3GI, c=US"
directory       /usr/local/ldap
rootdn          "cn=root, o=3GI, c=US"
rootpw          <password>
--------------

I modified the LDIF file given in the SLAPD users manual to have my
organization and my entries in them (I can attach that later if it will
help).  I inserted this into the server using the folllowing command:

> ldapadd -D "cn=root, o=3GI, c=US" -w <password> -f newldap

This command says it succeeds.  I have slapd running in heavy debug mode,
so I see lots of entries go by on the console.  It looks like something is
going on.

Now the problem.  As described in the manual, I execute the following
command to get a dump of all the entries in the server.

> ldapsearch 'objectclass=*'

This returns:

ldap_search: No such object

WHY?  This is driving me crazy.  I have tried other variations of
ldapsearch, but nothing ever works (except the one that gathers internal
statistics of the server).

I would appreciate any help that anyone could give.  The manual seems to
indicate this should be very simple and doesn't describe why this might
fail.

Thanks for any help you can shed on this matter.

-Jeremy

Jeremy Beker                            http://www.wolfstar.com/~gothmog/

gothmog@widomaker.com
"Saying Windows 95 is equal to Macintosh is like finding a potato that
looks like Jesus and believing you've witnessed the second coming."

-Guy Kawasaki, Apple Fellow