Re: ldap_modrdn()/ldap_modrdn2()

At 05:15 PM 1/8/01 +0100, Stig Venås wrote:
>I see that OpenLDAP 1.2.x defines ldap_modrdn() without the deleteoldrdn
>flag, while RFC 1823 says it should be there.

OpenLDAP 1.x, like many LDAPv2 implementations, provides
the U-Mich LDAP API which differs in a number of ways
from RFC 1823.

>It does however define
>ldap_modrdn2() with the flag, and this is in accordance with
>draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05.txt which defines both ldap_modrdn()
>and ldap_modrdn2().
>
>Is OpenLDAP different from RFC 1823 for historical reasons?

Yes.

As noted in draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05.txt, Appendix D,
26.6.

>If I want
>to write code that works with "any" old LDAP API,
>do I then need to
>check how ldap_modrdn() is defined or if ldap_modrdn2() exists, or can
>I safely assume either that all have ldap_modrdn2() or that all have
>ldap_modrdn() with the deleteoldrdn flag?

I believe most of the APIs you'll run into today are either
U-Mich compatible or are compatible with some version of the
IETF LDAP API drafts.

Kurt