ldap_modrdn()/ldap_modrdn2()

I see that OpenLDAP 1.2.x defines ldap_modrdn() without the deleteoldrdn
flag, while RFC 1823 says it should be there. It does however define
ldap_modrdn2() with the flag, and this is in accordance with
draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05.txt which defines both ldap_modrdn()
and ldap_modrdn2().

Is OpenLDAP different from RFC 1823 for historical reasons? If I want
to write code that works with "any" old LDAP API, do I then need to
check how ldap_modrdn() is defined or if ldap_modrdn2() exists, or can
I safely assume either that all have ldap_modrdn2() or that all have
ldap_modrdn() with the deleteoldrdn flag?

Stig