RE: authenticate nt domain server vs ldap

I have actually done this, or achieved the same = desire. I have a UNIX based network and was forced to implement a = Windows 2000 server. I did not have the desire to maintain multiple user accounts so I set off on what appears to be the same quest = you are about to venture on. The end result was populating the = Active Directory LDAP with ldif exports from my UNIX system. Then, = because Windows 2000 program for importing data into the internal LDAP = server will not accept password importation, I installed a little add on package developed by Microsoft called Services for UNIX 2.0. With = this package you can setup the password synchronization service pam = module. I tried to give you a head start on this cause I know if I = get off the topic too much Kurt will blow a head gasket and I will end = up with a "...not on this mail list..." message. If you = want to know more on this let me know and I'll try to help you if I = can. -Bill -----Original Message----- From: John Stevenson [mailto:John.Stevenson@valtec= h.co.uk] Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 9:36 AM To: Openldap Subject: Re: authenticate nt domain server vs = ldap I would certainly hope it is. Currenlty we use = NT authentication which has an LDAP extention, but our system administrators tell me that = this can only be used by other Microsoft products (IIS) and would require = Active Directory to be set up. I am a little dubious of this, but would not be = surprised if this is the case. Therefore I want to replace the NT authentication by = using a more flexable LDAP service and get all the NT machines to authenticate = against that. It may involve running a NT domain name controller, = using a samba server. In theory, this seems like how it would work..... John Stevenson. "Brian I. Davidson" wrote: > I would like to authenticate my NT domain server = against my ldap server. Is this > possible? > > Brian I. Davidson > Manager, Information Technology > Brivo Systems, Inc. > wb: http://www.brivo.com > em: brian@brivo.com > ph: 703/841.9113 > mb: 202/256.0499 > fx: 707/222.7076 > > Confidential and Proprietary, Brivo Systems, = Inc.