Re: Result + Controls

At 01:22 PM 7/27/00 -0400, Hala E. Mowafy wrote:

>Hi,
>
>- Can a success Result be sent back with a text error field?

I don't see any clause in RFC1777 (LDAPv2) or RFC2251 (LDAPv3)
which would disallow such and it's not likely to cause
applications any harm.  However, this doesn't necessarily mean
it is appropriate.

>Need to include a
>text message to the client, even on success.

A client should never rely on the presence of or content
of the errorMessage field.

>- Are there any defacto uses of the control field in the LDAP message envelope,
>today?  Any controlValues that are reserved?

There are numerous controls defined which vary from Standard
Track to "works in progress" to "proprietary".  You can check the
supportedControl attribute in your LDAPv3 server's root DSE
for a list (by OID).

controlValues are defined on a per control basis.