Groups under ldap

We are working on a contacts directory using LDAP. (http://rolodap.sourceforge.net )

Here is the problem.  We want to allow a user to be able to switch from seeing "all company contacts" to seeing just "my contacts" or "George's contacts".

There are two ways of apporaching this.  One would be to create an attribute called "owner" , allow it to be multi-valued, and then use that to create groups, i.e. if the woener attribute contains "george" then we could search on that and return all of george's contacts.

The other way would be to create a group--"George's contacts" -- similar to a mail group and to put into the group all of George's contacts.

I am not sure that I see all the ramifications of the two approaches.  Does anyone have any comments?

John Lederer