Re: unified login (unix + windows)

Hi,

To just check passwords you only need pam_ldap.

The login process trhough this library is basically two step:
1-search the uid in the ldap-server and get the corresponding user-dn
2-try to bind  into the ldap server using the user-dn and the password
entered along with the username, if bind is succesfull unix-login is
granted, otherwise rejected

You can perform the above search operation anonymously or using a
ldap-user, the last is my choice because I do not have to give search
permission to everyone.

Using only pam_ldap, requires you to have the users in /etc/passwd but
not their passwords (asuming you are not using /etc/shadow, if so then
they have to exist in /etc/passwd but not in /etc/shadow), because you
need to know what are your users' shell, home directory and so, if you
want to store all that information in the ldap server then you need
nss_ldap.

Salvador Salanova Fortmann

> How do the  pam_ldap and nss_ldap check the password.  Do they request
a copy of the password, or attempt a login into LDAP?