Another newbie question

If I create a directory using one set of data (say... OC person) and then need to modify it later (say... adding OC organizationalPerson) can I just add the extra data to it? If I understand the documentation I should have to turn the whole directory into ldiff format, change the schema/class/whatever, then reset the directory.

I'm asking so that I know how much I can adapt the directory as time progresses (e.g. Manager asks can we put "this" in the directory?).

Thanks in advance,
- Bennett