Re: Using LDAP for Auth & Access Control?

Hi,
I don't know of anything definite on-line, but this topic is covered
both in my book, "Implementing LDAP" and "Understanding and
Deploying LDAP Directory Services" by Tim Howes, et al.

I do have a brief article on the subject at
http://developer.iplanet.com/viewsource/ (I think we titled the article
"Straight Talk on Security", I write the LDAP Heavyweight collumn
for Netscape ViewSource).

Also I would suggest poking around in the LDAP modules for
Apache with mod_perl.

I'm also be talking about this at ApacheCon 2000 (presentation
should be online when the conference rolls around in March).

Typically what people do when using LDAP for something like this
is to use LDAP for authentication (which is easy/trivial to do).

The hard part is management of authorization information.
Authentication simply tells you that a particular set of credentials
provided by a client matched the same credentials in your LDAP
server (which is what happens in any authentication system). You
assume that since these credentials should only be able to be
provided by a particular person, then the application is
"authenticated" as that user.

Authorization means what can that user do now that they have
authenticated.

You could authorize access based on group membership, where
the user's entry lies in the DIT, time of day, gender, an attribute in
their entry or a number of different routes.

So to be honest what you probably want to do is to use an existing
authentication service such as Kerberos (which already provides a
standardized means of providing authorization services) and use a
directory service to feed the user & application data to Kerberos.

just my thoughts.

Mark