Using LDAP for Auth & Access Control?

I'm needing to develop a fairly flexible authentication and access
control scheme for a client/server type of application.  I began my
research for a solution being inspired by Netware's NDS, having
had a very minor amount of experience with it.  I mentioned this to
a friend who said I should look into LDAP for storing user access
information and I realized the World of Directory Services.

Now, I'm struggling trying to assimilate all this LDAP information
I'm reading online into my RDBMS-oriented brain.  And I'm
wondering:

Is there a good example or case study available online that
illustrates the use of LDAP for a authentication & access control
implementation?

I'm reading the mailing list archives and searching the web, but I
have yet to find a good example that will really help me understand
how to adapt LDAP's objects for this application.  If there's a book
with this information in it, I'd be interested to hear about it as well.

It just seems like everything I read about LDAP lists all these
varied and different applications it can be used for, but all the
examples I'm reading are for simple phonebook type directories.

Thanks a bunch,
-chris