multi-byte character sets

I'm pretty well-versed in LDAP technology, but I'm lost when it
comes to international character set issues.  I know with V3,
strings are supposed to be UTF-8 encoded.  But that's only
an encoding.  Does it specify what character set?  If I have
a client that's using a multi-byte character set and I UTF-8
encode it before passing it to the API, have I fulfilled all
the requirements?  Or does the string first have to be
translated to a standard character set (UNICODE?) and then
UTF-8 encoded?  All help is greatly appreciated.

  o    _______________  Gary Williams           SAS Institute Inc.
 /\_  _|             |  Gary.Williams@sas.com   SAS Campus Dr.
_\__`[_______________|  919-677-8000 x4059      Cary, NC 27513