Re: does sendmail work with ldap groups?

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Chris Winters wrote:

> Sendmail may support this in the future. See:
>
>  http://www.stanford.edu/~bbense/Inst.html
>  http://www.stanford.edu/~bbense/ldap/alias_issues
>
> for people who have made the hack themselves.
>
> Me, I was a little scared futzing around with Sendmail code in a
> (for me) non-trivial way. So we worked around this problem by rolling
> our own --  an admin can edit groups via a web interface and an entry
> in  /etc/aliases for that group directs the mail to a perl script that
> looks up the group in the LDAP server and sends the mail to the
> necessary people on the list.
>
> AFAIK, it's working okay. (I haven't received any panicked calls about
> it *not* working :) I'd be happy to share, but there are likely issues
> with doing this on a large scale that I haven't considered. This
> solution works for 80 people in a central office and about a dozen
> scattered around the Washington, D.C. area. Also, this doesn't do any
> sort of authentication checking -- anyone can send a message to any group.

Yeah, I was guessing it may have to come to something like this.  All our
administration will be done over the web too (I'm currently writing the
whole thing with PHP.)  I would be interested in seeing your perl
script.  I definately don't want to go delving into sendmail, and they
won't release group support anytime soon, so it looks like I'm stuck
rolling my own (or combining parts of others' with my own.)  I'll probably
hack your perl script to do some access list checking or something like
that, so I could send my revision back if you'd like.
-jay