Uniqueness of attribute values

Hi all,

I know this must have been raised before, but I still can't find a
definitive answer to it. Is there any way to enforce uniqueness on any
attribute in an LDAP entry? As far as I know, the DN is unique by
definition, but all the other attributes cannot be. So, for example, I can
have the same uid or e-mail address for two users that are in different
branches of my organization.

Is there any way for example to force the uid attribute of the user
objectclass to be unique across the whole directory tree?

        Luca