Netscape Calendar server node database?

I know that this is really a netscape issue, but I thought that this
list might be more help, the answer was nowhere on theor site.

I'm running OpenLDAP 1.2.7 and this is the install for calendar server
4.0. The cal server and LDAP are
not on the same box. I followed the instructions in the FAQ-o-Matic and
everything goes fine till I try to
"create calendar instance" thru the web interface.....

the output follows

everything goes along swimmingly.....

Creating Calendar Administrators...
Creation of Calendar Administrators group: successful
Creation of Calendar Administrators: successful
Attaching Calendar Administrators to Group: successful

Adding node entry to unison.ini...
Add node entry to unison.ini: successful

Updating LDAP section in unison.ini...
Updating LDAP section in unison.ini: successful

***until here****
Creating node database...
Creating node database: failed

Restoring unison.ini file...
Restoring unison.ini file: successful

Removing the reserved users and group...
Removing the reserved users and group: successful

Creating node: failed
Removing /export/home/calendar/calendar-epcal1 ... SUCCESSFUL

and it fails....

anybody seen/dealt with this before?