Re: Apache and LDAP Authentification

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 11:09:24AM -0500, Ronald E. Fortin wrote:
> Since there are about half a dozen of these Apache LDAP modules (check out the Apache modules repository at
> http://modules.apache.org , I was wondering if the authors could get together and make one that works, is supported and has all the
> bells and whistles that people expect. This could then be shipped with either (or both) OpenLDAP and Apache.

First of all, I think it's unfair of you to ask for a module 'that
works' since most of them actually do so.  Also, I don't really get
what you mean by 'one that is supported'.

The bells and whistles that people expect are often a function of the
schemas of their LDAP directories which are in turn a function of the
organizational structures of their respective companies or
institutions.

When I wrote my own module (cfr http://diamond.rug.ac.be/) at the time,
it was not because the ones that I found at http://modules.apache.org
did not work or were not supported, but simply because they didn't fit
my directory schema.

I'm afraid that there will always be different LDAP authentication
modules around because it is the very code that links your apache
server with the specifics of your directory setup.

Piet RUYSSINCK                  Piet.Ruyssinck@rug.ac.be
Unix Systeem Administratie                +32 9 264 4733
ACADEMISCH REKENCENTRUM (ARC)     Universiteit Gent (RUG)
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, bureel 4     9000 Gent, Belgie