Re: Netscape Roaming Profiles

At 05:31 PM 6/29/99 -0400, shaned@videotron.ca wrote:
>Could anyone give a final word on this like is it netscape that is
>not LDAP compliant (so that people have to buy *there* LDAP server) or
>does the LDAP community doesnt want to patch openLDAP to work with
>broken clients or is this an outstanding bug in openLDAP?

It may be none of the above or all of the above or ... I really
haven't looked into the interoperability with this application.

I suspect the application may only be designed to work with LDAPv3
servers and the server only provides LDAPv2.  Of course, it could
be a combination of a number of factors.

If you really want this application to work with the OpenLDAP
server:

A) If the application doesn't support LDAPv2:
	1) ask Netscape to provide LDAPv2 support
	2) help OpenLDAP provide LDAPv3 support
	3) help Mozilla provide the support

B) If the application has bugs:
	1) ask Netscape to provide a fix
	2) help OpenLDAP provide a workaround
	3) help Mozilla provide the fix

C) If OpenLDAP server has bugs:
	1) ask Netscape to workaround the OpenLDAP bugs
	2) help OpenLDAP fix the bugs.
	3) help Mozilla workround the OpenLDAP bugs

For A and B, option 2) (help OpenLDAP) is likely that best approach.
For C, option 1) & 3) are likely the best approach though 2) might be
appropriate as an short term solution.

I encourge those desiring improvements in OpenLDAP software to
get involved.  I recommend our -bugs list for discussions
concerning OpenLDAP 1.2 bugs and our -devel list for discussions
concerning LDAPv3 development.

Kurt