Re: Re: Netscape Roaming Profiles

I've spent a lot of time with trying to get OpenLDAP to work
with Netscape roaming profiles. My problem is that I'm still
learning about LDAP and so don't understand some of the
technicalities.

I certainly managed to get roaming profiles to upload the info
into the OpenLDAP server. I could see the data moving with the
debug flag and I could query the data using ldapsearch. I could
not get the info to download back to Netscape. I thought it
might be permissioning but even after making everything accessible
to everybody it still didn't work.

I have converted an old Netscape DS V3 to work using the
instructions given by Netscape and it does work. I then downloaded
the ldif file and tried to upload that. I just couldn't see the
differences in the two systems. What I would really like to do is
put a packet sniffer on the line and capture just that traffic and
debug a real Netscape server vs an OpenLDAP one. That would probably
give us enough info to try and debug the code.

I have also downloaded the Linux NS V4 server. It runs but the Java
is not good. It takes a lot of CPU and memory up and crashed regularly
on me. It is beta so I can't complain. I have roaming working using
the mod_roaming module and LDAP authentication. It works well, is
fast and reliable and I can edit the files using VI.