Re: LDAP and DNS

Exactly.  They best of both worlds would be to manage the ip address, it's
DNS name, and any related info in LDAP, but have a gateway to do zone
transfer of ip/dns info from LDAP to "real" DNS servers, which DNS
clients talk to.  Gives you the ability to tie all your info together in LDAP,
yet still have the performance optimizations of DNS servers.  As Mark said,
it's not really practical to have LDAP replace DNS.  Another option
would be to have something like a perl script that periodically searches LDAP
for all DNS info (easy if you build it right), dynamically builds your DNS
files from this, then tells your DNS server to reload.  Wouldn't require
any hacks to DNS software.  Gets trickier if you add dynamic DNS to
the picture...

Similar to what I've heard some people do (or try to do) with relational
databases- i.e., I have a big Oracle HR database, want to serve LDAP from
it.  I can set up a master LDAP server that backends to oracle,
replicates to one or more standard replica ldap servers, and all clients
access the replicas only (read-only access).  'Course mapping something like a
Peolesoft database on Oracle to LDAP is a real pain, not to mention
finding/writing something to interface the LDAP server to the Oracle backend
and figuring out how to handle LDAP clients that want to write to LDAP...

I think in all these situations, the real goal I would be looking at is getting

as close to a single place to write/manage all of an enterprises info, so I
have one database to manage, can build relationships between the info, can
build a
single interface to manage everything, etc, then find ways to export this
data as read only to the various services.  It's not such a big deal to manage
the same info in many databases as long as only one is considered the "owner"
where the data is maintained and the data gets automatically exported to other
systems - the biggest problem is then just timing issues.  The problem comes
when data is mastered in many places (such as if you stored it in LDAP, then
hand edited and updated it in your DNS files - inevitably, someone will edit
one and forget to edit the other).