Re: Question about (negative) caching

"Eric S. Johansson" wrote:

> I see what you mean.  If a request contained a wild-card then you could
> never know if you found "all" of the entries.  Your observation that raises
> the interesting question: how often are wildcard queries used vs.
> non-wild-card queries?  Almost all of the applications I'm working with use
> non-wild-card queries.  The ones with high-volume are definitely single
> entry queries (i.e. radius) and the low-volume ones are wild-card (customer
> support tools).
>
> As I think about it, it probably isn't worth the effort except in the case
> of bringing up a new server.  There are probably other ways of solving that
> problem.
>
> --- eric

The scenario I had in mind involves iterative resolution of
a groupOfUniqueNames that may in turn contains DNs that
may in turn need resolution...  And some of those DNs might
point at non-existent records depending on how the directory
has been set-up.

Especially in the case of Intranet management of mailing
lists, mail routing, etc.

-Philip