Re: Question about (negative) caching

At 02:58 PM 6/7/1999 -0700, Gordon Good wrote:
That approach would only work when the LDAP client attempts to read a single
entry. In the event that the client performs a search that could potentially
return a number of entries, the slave would always need to just pass the query
on to the master, since it has no idea if it contains all the entries needed to
satisfy the client's search request.

I see what you mean. If a request contained a wild-card then you could never know if you found "all" of the entries. Your observation that raises the interesting question: how often are wildcard queries used vs. non-wild-card queries? Almost all of the applications I'm working with use non-wild-card queries. The ones with high-volume are definitely single entry queries (i.e. radius) and the low-volume ones are wild-card (customer support tools).

As I think about it, it probably isn't worth the effort except in the case of bringing up a new server. There are probably other ways of solving that problem.

--- eric