RE: [Q] New features

[cut]

> >2.  Having the Win32 version of slapd for run as a Win NT service.  I
> >realize that if need be it could probably be run as a service via
> >Microsoft's srvany unitlity (from the NT resource kit), but
> a 'native'
> >service implementation would probably be more reliable.
>
> The NT port of slapd is underway.... volunteers developers are
> encourged to contribute to this (and other) efforts.
>
> Kurt

I volunteered a whole bunch of code to perform the following...
a) Native service implementation including controlled startup and shutdown.
b) Autoinstall/Deinstall slapd as an NT service from the command line, with
"slapd install" and "slapd remove"
c) Logging starting/stopping events to the NT Eventlog as required.
and all this was ignored. I now maintain it for my own benefit only.
I've also re-written the entire daemon.c to use the Winsock functions
WSAAsyncSelect -or- WSAEventSelect rather than the BSD port of select()
which cannot be nicely interrupted on NT like it can on Unix.
I have also started wotking on a Syslog function equivilent for NT, to save
logging everything to a log file.

I struggled with updating my changes every time that the code on the CVS
server was changed, and in the end decided (in my own mind) that until
OpenLDAP comes up with a means of doing NT properly, I would not bother any
more.

Personally, I believe that a really good NT port (of slapd and tools as a
minimum) would bring a lot of merit to the OpenLDAP efforts.

//Paul