Re: Finding all user groups without knowing how groups are defined

Then this will be very very hard unless you are psychic (and if you are,
you'll probably make more $$ giving predictions over the phone ;).

Seriously, you are very limited. I think your best option is to look for
entries that entries that have a group in their name such as
groupofuniquemembers, groupofnames, groupofmembers, etc. You could also do a
lookup to find all of the organizational unit objectclass entries, then do a
search for all entries that have a particular ou valu.

Add an option so that the user can add/remove their own objectclasses to
specify as a "group" (e.g. they can department objectclass and remove
organizationalunit).

Netscape Directory Server basically supports this with their dynamic group
functionality (e.g. you provide a filter, it builds a group whose members
match the results).

Figure 80-95% of the time groups are going to be typical group*
objectclasses and provide some functionality to handle the exceptions by
allowing the end user to modify the query.

Mark