Search question

Hi all,

I'm trying to use LDAP in two ways here,

	- Do a dirSync between my X.500 server and
	  Exchange 5.5 and Notes 4.62 servers.

	- add a ldaptoX500 functionality for clients

As for the first one I now have a script that will extract
a list of dn's from the X.500 server and then extract the
necessary info for each container/user. The rest is X.500
related. I'm still pondering if there is a simple way to
get a list of the dn's in some simple way given a base. Right
now I'm doing

   ldapsearch -A -L -h $ldaphost -b "$BASE" "(&(cn=d*)(&(sn=*)))" cn

which gives

   dn: cn=first.last,$BASE
   cn:

I don't know why (I'm doing trial and error right now) but -L gives me
the dn... The script then uses a index to overcome the size threshhold.

As for the second, clients like Netscape et al seem to always search on
the email attribute, not Name? Seemingly this is not client configurable
and there seems very little to do about that at the server side?

What I would like to be able to do is translate queries via some map of
attributes but return the correct values...

Thanks for any input.

Gudbjorn Hreinsson
Skima ltd.
ICELAND

P.S. for those interested I am less into the Notes way - it seems
scaringly
unstructured and and pathetically less configurable. There seems no way
tell it to limit searches to a specific address book for instance.