ldapsearch question

I'm just getting started with openLDAP and am having some problems right
out of the gate.  Hoping someone can point out my error.

% ldif2ldbm -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf -i myldif (no errors)
% slapd -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf -p 9009 -d 1 (no errors)
% ldapsearch -L -S -b o=ILM -h localhost -p 9009 cn=root
% no route to host

I've played with the ldapsearch options and have also gotten 'connecting
refused'

I've got very little documentation and figure I'm problably just doing
it wrong.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill Hirsch			phone:  415.721.3213
Systems Administrator		email:  willem@lucasdigital.com
Industrial Light + Magic