Re: Newbie Question ?

At 11:24 AM 1/28/99 -0500, Himanshu   Shah wrote:
>1) Does openLDAP stable version support LDAPv3 or LDAPv2 ?

OpenLDAP 1.x implements LDAPv2.

If you interested in helping with our LDAPv3 implementation,
join our openldap-devel mailing list.  There's a doc/devel/todo
has a list of projects needing to get done.

>2) Are there any other free directory servers  supporting LDAP ?

Yes.  Many vendors offer free evaluation of their servers.
Some even offer free licensing for non-commericial usage.
Others offer have significant discounts for educational
institutions.  You should check with each vendor to see
what options are available to you.

As far as "open source",  OpenLDAP is the only active project
providing a full suite (SDK, clients, servers).  However, there
are a number of projects providing "open source" SDKs (for
various languages) and clients of all sorts.

You can check our "related sites" / FAQ-O-Matic for
pointers to various projects.
	http://www.openldap.org/info/related.html
	http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=33

Kurt