Schema, multiply attributes, objectclass top, mail

I am in the process of setting up OpenLDAP and needed a few things
clarified (even after reading everything I could get my hands on).
Well, have OpenLDAP running and have data that I can access :-)

There is no concept of inheritance in LDAP but the concept is present
in X.500.  That's why several objectclasses are used, or I am off?  On
the same note, given that every objectclass (that I'm interested in
anyways) has an "objectclass" attribute, why do does the example still
include "top"?  "historical reasons"?  What does the objectclass top
signify in the first place?  Or in other words, when would one not
want to use "top"?

I will need a mail aliases.  How is that best handled?  The test.ldif
gives an example of a rfc822MailGroup but how does on specify the
email address of the mail group?  Would one make the mail group
"account" as well and specify the mail attribute?  What if a user has
several mail accounts which I want to record but only drop to a subset
(say, 1 or 2 email addresses)?

Does anyone have any references to sendmail+ldap info?  What
attributes sendmail respect?  I have not seen anything helpful yet
except the sendmail src...

Anyone aware of a pop3 or imap server that interfaces with LDAP for
authentication - perhaps via PAM?  From what I understand PAM will not
support NT authentication, is there any other interface that I should
consider supporting instead/also?  I have read the devel threads and
still need to follow up on the links, but if someone could point me in
the right direction, it would make my life easier.

TIA

/Allan
--
Allan M. Wind			mailto:wind@sap-help.com