Problems with OpenLDAP clients querying MS Exchange

Dear All,

I am trying to use LDAP to search the directory on our corporate email
server (MS Exchange 5.0 running on NT 3.5.1). This is to provide access for
our departmental users to organisation-wide addresses. The intention is to
create a search cgi (to be run by Apache on FreeBSD).

OpenLDAP 'ldapsearch' and Umich clients (for each of unix, Windows and Mac)
fail with a 'Protocol error' message. 'Ud' also seems unable to browse the
searchbase, just hangs. However, it must be possible because a trial
version of 'WS-Ping' seems able to get meaningful results, as does
Navigator 4.5 I believe.

It's (very) possible that I'm doing something stupid, but I wondered if
anyone had had success using these tools to search MS Exchange, and if so
how they went about it.

Please reply directly, as I haven't subscribed to the list.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: mailto:robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/