Re: importing multi line fields

On Fri, 08 Jan 1999 15:29:02 +0800, Alan Knowles wrote:
> Some where way back in time, I came across the example of using the '$ '
> as a seperator in multi line fields,  I'm not sure whether in was in the
> rfc's but I think most clients tend to handle this. - netscape / outlook
> etc.
>
> eg.
> address: 1 a road, $ a town $ a county $ a country
>
> regards
>
> alan

No.

The $ separator used in the Postal Address LDAP string format has
nothing to do with carriage returns or line feeds. Postal Address is
not a "multiline field", it is a value which contains up to 6 strings,
which is an important distinction to make.

If you put $ signs in a value of Directory String syntax (for example)
they will remain just that, $ signs. (This is a good thing!)

If you wanted a particular string component of a postal address to
contain a CRLF, you would have to encode it over the wire as follows:

1st line of 1st string\0d\0a2nd line of 1st string$2nd string$3rd string

This is described in RFC 1778 and RFC 2252, which you should read.

Chris