having corruption with OPENLDAP NSS and PAM on RH 5.1?

my Wtmp utmp and lastlogs(which are used by last, w and who) and a few
binaries are corrupted and I have another RH 5.1 server that isn't using
any of the above with no corruption, anyone else experiencing this I
have re-installed RH 5.1 3 times on this server and am about to
completely abandon LDAP as a customer support system.. and write my own
PAM/User Maintenance system, but hopeing for a solution or explanation
with a fix...

Blake Binkley