OpenLDAP 1.1 on RedHat 5.1

I have compiled and installed OpenLDAP on
a RedHat 5.0 machine, it works well, but
there are some problems:

1) I can not get configure to install it
with tcp_wrappers, configure complains like
this:

checking for Berkeley DB... yes
checking for hosts_access in -lwrap... no
configure: warning: could not find -lwrap
configure: error: could not find wrappers

Yet libwrap.a and host_access.o is still is there:

# nm /usr/lib/libwrap.a | grep hosts_access
hosts_access.o:
00000000 T hosts_access
0000003c D hosts_access_verbose
         U hosts_access_verbose
         U hosts_access

2) The loglevel feature does not seem to work,
the loglevel entry that worked OK with a previous
version of slapd now does not log anything.
I use a loglevel of 2368 (2048+256+64).

Anyone with any ideas on these rather minor problems?

-psi