problems with indexing

I'm trying to use the open LDAP server as a back-end to an American Internet radius server.  The consultant I have working on putting together the schema and configuration is reporting serious problems with indexing and performance.  The test configuration is running on red hat 5.1 on generic Pentium 166 PC.  The open LDAP release is 1.0.2.  I've enclosed his notes below.  clues would be appreciated.

I apologize for this being in HTML but that's how I got it and I can't figure out how to tell Netscape to strip the formatting.

--- eric

openLDAP Server Issues:

I have an LDAP server up on the hardware you provided with enough of a schema and directory tree defined for the application people to test against.
So far I cannot seem to get indexing to work. Unindexed,  here are the search times I am getting...

Dir Entries
search for 'early' user
search for 'late' user
search for bad user

(secs)
(secs)
(secs)
50K
29.98
30.06
51.86
25K
19.95
20.14
20.27
10K
15.65
15.97
16.23

later on he writes,

Well,

    I deleted the entire directory and re added 10K entries with indexing on. It did rebuild the index files, but the times on the search results are the same. <sigh>

    Also, I loaded the same test data into an open directory server (netscape) and got back an average of 1.8 seconds for the same searched. Even more surprising the telltale worse case test for the non-exist user returns in 0.01 seconds.

    That's on a Sparc20 with one hand tied behind its back...literally, one of the CPUs is sitting on my desk...!