questions about attribute schemas

I'm trying to use LDAP as a directory for some specialized services
and have some questions about the objectclass and attribute schemas.

1. is the LDAP attribute space flat within a particular server? i.e.,
can there be different attributes with different semantics that share
the same name? For example, in Xerox we make scanners and printers,
and both have a document resolution attribute that means different
things, and in fact is expressed in different ways.

I guess this question is really whether attribute names and
definitions can have different scopes in an LDAP tree.

2. If there can be different scopes, then how is this expressed in the
oc.conf and at.conf files?

Bill Anderson