Pls help: replica slave server setup

Hello,

I set up OpenLDAP 1.01 on 2 machines running Solaris 2.6.  Everything works
with problem except that when I send a modify request to the slave, it doesn't
return the referral of master server but simply perform the modification
locally.  I wonder if I've anything set up incorrectly.  Here comes extract of
the configuration files about replication setup:

======================
master:

replica         host=ldap2.cuhk.edu.hk:5678
                binddn="cn=Replicator, o=cuhk, c=hk"
                bindmethod=simple
                credentials=password
replogfile      /usr/local/openldap/logs/slapd.replog

slave:

updatedn        "cn=Replicator, o=cuhk, c=hk"

readonly        on

Would anyone please advise ? Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
ST Wong